[mythtv-users] 32 vs. 64 bit, any significant difference?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 17 17:34:19 UTC 2009

On Thursday 17 December 2009 10:27:53 am Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>
wrote:
> > I have an old 0.20 combo BE/FE machine with 2 GB of RAM in it, and
I've
> > never it seen it use more than 1GB.
>
> I find that hard to believe.
>
> The Linux kernel will cache all read filesystem data in RAM not used
> by applications, so that statement could only be true if the system
> never read more than 1GB from the disk.

I should have said that, even if I run it with only 1GB of RAM, it never
touches swap, and no gain in performance seems to happen by adding back
the second GB. I conclude that the second GB is a waste of resources.

>My first computer (circa 1984) had 2KB of RAM.

Ah, a "screamer" huh?

>Today, the software I
>write vocationally has a recommended minimum of 64GB of RAM.

Probably not a myth system:-)

My main point initially was that Myth is not a real RAM hog, and generally
does not "need" 4 GB. or more, which is the primary advantage to 64-bit
systems today.