[mythtv-users] 32 vs. 64 bit, any significant difference?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 17 16:55:35 UTC 2009

On Thursday 17 December 2009 09:46:19 am Bill Bogstad wrote:

> Actually, too much ram can be a real problem if you are trying to
> reduce boot times (and the BIOS wants to check
> everything).  It can also make using suspend to disk on a laptop annoying.

It also uses power, generates heat and costs money, not to mention the cost
to the planet of even manufacturing that excess RAM in the first place.
There's just no point in having more RAM than you actually need.

I have an old 0.20 combo BE/FE machine with 2 GB of RAM in it, and I've
never it seen it use more than 1GB. I'm now sorry I put that extra GB into it.

Unless you are using it for something else in addition to Myth, there's not
much point in even 4GB in a Myth machine.