[mythtv-users] Anyone using this card?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 17 16:15:46 UTC 2009

On Thursday 17 December 2009 09:03:08 am John Drescher wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 10:58 AM, Donald J. Organ IV
>
> <dorgan at donaldorgan.com> wrote:
> >> I so wish I had bought two of these instead
>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815345001&cm_re=hd
> >>hr-_-15-345-001-_-Product
> >>
> >> If you are looking for just one or two tuners, for sure absolutely get
> >> the HDHR.
> >
> > How does that work?? Very keep way to cut down on slots needed and
heat
> > inside of the case.  But how does myth utilize it?
>
> Mythtv has direct support for this device. A lot of users are using
> them. Only problem is like all QAM cards we are at the mercy of the
> cable provider. I mean you may not get very many ClearQAM stations. In
> my case I have only 8 or so unencrypted stations on my comcast cable
> (basically just the locals).

Or, if you are lucky enough to live where there are a lot of OTA stations, it
can capture them for you, as well as any clear QAM on a cable system.

I have only one local OTA station (CBS affiliate), so the ATSC capability of the
HDHR is not too useful, since I can get that station from DISH anyway.

There is also a DVB version of the device, if you don't live in the USA.

A single-tuner version is available for about $99 (US), but the dual-tuner is
more useful IMHO.

The only real drawback is you have to identify what the QAM channels are,
and insert the correct XMLTV IDs, which can be a bit tedious, but generally
only has to be done once.