[mythtv-users] remote frontend on a Mac

Fa fayoeu at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 06:57:48 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 8:52 AM, lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> how do you set up a remote frontend on a Mac? I tried, but:
>

> 1.) it's unusably slow

I never got smooth HD playback on the mythfrontend under OSX, so I install
ubuntu on my mini mac was satisfied.

> 2.) apparently, it uses at least part of the settings for a frontend
> on one computer on another one as well

I just grabbed the frontend prebuilt binaries for OSX and it worked with the
caveat above.

> 3.) it produces error messages about failed communication with the
> backend

see #4 below.

> 4.) it is unknown which access rights to the database the remote
> frontend needs

This is documented on the mythtv documentation page.

> 5.) the remote frontend tries to update the database and fails
>
> 6.) it's not possible to watch recordings
>
> 7.) the recordings of one user are available to the remote frontend
> and thus to another user

All the items above looks like a permission issue with the db.  Read the
mythtv docs pertaining to mysql setup for remote frontends.

> I expected it would be possible for a user at the remote frontend to
> use his own settings and make his own recordings and watch them at his
> frontend, independent of other users at other frontends (as far as
> hardware limitations of the TV card allow), with an option to share
> recordings between users if they want to. If that isn't possible,
> what's the point?

I have not idea what you mean by this.  I am running a single backend with
multiple frontends on osx,ubuntu, and the xbox with no issues.  Each
frontend can watch recording, watch live tv, and schedule recordings and
delete them.