[mythtv-users] Adding HDHR to a master backend with an HDPVR already

Charles Wright cpwright at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 04:00:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 7:17 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Johnny Walker <johnnyjboss at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> When I tune to a channel that Myth can't handle, several different things
> can happen: 1) If I'm lucky, I realize it's never going to come back and am
> able to tune back to a channel that works. However, if this doesn't work,
> then Myth 2) Kicks back to the main FE page with an error about opening a
> jump file, or some other error that I can't remember. However, it's at this
> point that my FE becomes unstable and will no longer tune any channels. I
> have to restart mythfrontend. When I relaunch mythfrontend and attempt to
> watch TV, I have to quickly remember to tune to a good channel, or step 2
> repeats itself and I have to restart the app once again.
I had the same issue setting up my HDHR.  The problem is when you tune
to the bad channel, it gets setup in the database before the channel
is really good.  I had a separate SQL window open that would update
the startchan field of the cardinput table to '2', which was working
so that I could reliably just start mythfrontend.

One thing that I have now that I wish I had then was a remote button
that restarts mythfrontend (using irexec, I have a script that will
restart mythfrontend if it dies when you press the PC power button.
If you press it twice in 5 seconds, it kills mythfrontend before
trying to restart it).

Charles