[mythtv-users] remote frontend on a Mac

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 01:14:20 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 12:38 PM, lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:59:27AM -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
>> On Dec 16, 2009, at 11:52 AM, lee wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > how do you set up a remote frontend on a Mac? I tried,
>>
>> You do it pretty much the same way you do under Linux. It works just
>> fine on both my Mac Mini and MacBook Pro under Mac OS X.
>
> It doesn't work the same way. The settings are totally messed up ---
> apparently mythtv is not able to handle multiple users and multiple
> frontends.
>
>> > but:
>> >

>> > 1.) it's unusably slow
>>
>> Not here.
>
> but here
>
>> > 2.) apparently, it uses at least part of the settings for a frontend
>> > on one computer on another one as well
>>
>> You probably have a hostname collision. Could even be the host itself if it dual-boots Mac OS X and Linux. For such systems, I use an explicit hostname override to keep the OS X and Linux settings for what are the same host from colliding.
>
> It's two different computers, and there are no name collisions in the DNS.
>

>> > 3.) it produces error messages about failed communication with the
>> > backend
>> >
>> > 4.) it is unknown which access rights to the database the remote
>> > frontend needs
>> >
>> > 5.) the remote frontend tries to update the database and fails
>> >
>> > 6.) it's not possible to watch recordings
>>
>> Setting up these bits is no different than on Linux.
>
> Then why can't I watch them?
>
>> > 7.) the recordings of one user are available to the remote frontend
>> > and thus to another user
>>
>> Huh? What's the problem here?
>
> It's another user, but mythtv doesn't seem to understand that.
>
>> > I expected it would be possible for a user at the remote frontend to
>> > use his own settings and make his own recordings and watch them at his
>> > frontend, independent of other users at other frontends (as far as
>> > hardware limitations of the TV card allow), with an option to share
>> > recordings between users if they want to. If that isn't possible,
>> > what's the point?
>>
>> All recordings are shared within a single MythTV setup (which encompasses all frontends and backends tied to the same master backend). MythTV doesn't have a concept of "users" really.
>>

> That sucks, and it's totally ridiculous. How do I prevent another user
> from removing my recordings or from preventing me from recording
> something because he's trying to record something else at the same
> time?

Why should you rule?

But seriously there are some features that reqire a PIN number, I have
never set it up so I am not sure how far that extends.

But think your problem through. How does the backend know who is
holding the remote when you are setting up a recording or deleting
one? How do you authenticate with a remote? Should you need to
authenticate every keypress? How long before the authentication times
out?

You may think the system is ridiculous, but it works for many people.

> And how could you have remote frontends when they all use the same
> settings? You would be required to have identical hard- and software
> for all the frontends.

They don't use all the same settings. Its per frontend hostname
though, not per user. Take a look at the settings table in the
database:

mysql> describe settings;

+----------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field    | Type         | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
| value    | varchar(128) | NO   | MUL |         |       |
| data     | text         | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| hostname | varchar(255) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
3 rows in set (0.01 sec)

See how each setting has a hostname associated with it? Thats why you
WILL get problems if the database thinks two machines have the same
hostname.