[mythtv-users] Myth with Dish Network / DirectTV ?

Russ Van Winkle russ.vanwinkle at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 01:10:00 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Mark <fairlane at springcom.com> wrote:
> Russ Van Winkle wrote:
>>
>> (*The only issue I had was related to WAF:  my wife would pick up the
>> remote to find out why the receiver had changed channels, putting the
>> OSD up over the recording, and sometimes switching the channel back.
>> Since I was only in testing mode I couldn't complain much about this.
>> In production, I would have either used the option in the directv.pl
>> script to supress the info button, or, ideally, put the receiver in
>> the closet with a backend and used a separate frontend machine.  We're
>> now switching to OTA-only so the point has become moot.)
>>

> My solution to this was to move all recievers to the basement server rack
> and FORCE live-tv on anyone
> who wanted to surf channels.  No spare tuner, no surfing.  Not ideal, but
> keeps your recordings safe. FWIW.
>
> Mark

This would, eventually, have been my solution also.  At the time I was
limited to a single FE/BE machine which precluded doing so.

For the OP - forgot to mention earlier, DirecTV also offers locals in
many markets, also for $5/mo.  In my market, at least some of the
network affiliates have a digital feed from master control to
DirecTV's uplink (as opposed to DTV using an off-air feed).  So, like
cable, the station could be temporarily off-air, but you wouldn't be
affected.

As I alluded to earlier, weather can be a factor.  We've noticed,
though, that the locals tend to drop out later than the other channels
- likely due to the locals being fed on a spot beam from the
satellite.

--
Russ D. Van Winkle