[mythtv-users] PCI, S-Video, VDPAU, SDTV, interlaced CRT: what card?

f-myth-users at media.mit.edu f-myth-users at media.mit.edu
Thu Dec 17 00:06:00 UTC 2009

    > Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 10:04:46 -0700
    > From: Enigma <enigma at thedonnerparty.com>

    > FWIW, the TV-Out on my Sparkle 9400 GT PCI worked just fine under
    > Linux (there were other major problems with it,

Like what?

    >    					    but the TV out worked
    > fine).  The 9 pin TV out has the same pinout as 4 pin S-video, you
    > just need an S-video cable that has the keying pin removed.

Ah, that's a good point.  The 4-pin cable that came with [1] does
-not- have a keying pin, since it plugs into their 9-pin DIN.  The
long S-Video cable I bought a couple years ago from Monoprice -does-
have such a keying pin at both ends, and my TV has the females for
them.  If I continue to have a card like [1] (or maybe a PCI version),
yet I want it more than 2 feet away from the card (which I do! :), it
looks like I'd either need to get a female/female connector [2] and
plug the short one that came with the card into the long one I've
already got, or I need to find long S-Video cables without keying pins
(which wastes my existing cabling), or I'd have to pull the keying pin
out of one end of mine (which I've never done and have no idea if it'd
be easy---I suppose if I can't pull it, I could melt it with a
soldering iron, but ick).

[1] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187034
[2] http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10401&cs_id=1040106&p_id=316&seq=1&format=2