[mythtv-users] 32 vs. 64 bit, any significant difference?

Misty P mistyp at thekorn.net
Wed Dec 16 23:48:57 UTC 2009

Brian Wood wrote:
> Building a new backend, and trying to decide whether to go 32 or 64
> bit. Obviously it's a 64-bit CPU (AMD FX-60).
>
> Only using 2GB of RAM, so that's not a factor.
>
> I know it's been asked before, but reviewing past posts I don't seem
> to see any final conclusion.
>
> Normally I'd go with 64 bit, but I wonder of there are any reasons to
> go 32 (Flash players, XBMC Boxee)?
>
> Thoughts?

Will have been running 64-bit on the backend for two years come March.
Recently upgraded my frontends from 32 to 64 bits, for no reason other than
more than 4 gigs memory support for 'other stuff'.

Absolutely no issues to report; everything I try just works.
Coincidentally, I also report no benefit from going to 64 bits, either.
Once you go VDPAU, it doesn't really matter.