[mythtv-users] Current Verizon FIOS experiences

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 14:34:11 UTC 2009

>> In my market (Philadelphia), the only channels in the clear are networks (ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX), PBS, and a couple of other OTA ones.
>
> That would be a good start, is that the same as available through OTA ATSC?

Yes the cable (I assume FIOS too) operators in the US are generally
required to leave the OTA ATSC channels in the clear. They are
considered to be part of the national emergency system and are thus
given certain protections. Also those networks are given a huge
valuable section of our wireless spectrum basically for free, so they
have an obligation on that end to leave everything open and available
to everybody. I would add that the OTA ATSC will generally be of
higher quality than what you get from cable. They usually recompress
it to a lower bitrate. I believe FIOS does less of this so it may not
be an issue. But for the channels he can tune it may be worth looking
at.