[mythtv-users] Seattle area Comcast is now encrypted

James D. Goddard pubear at u.washington.edu
Wed Dec 16 04:05:40 UTC 2009

I just got off the phone with Comcast and verified that they have turned on encryption for all the “expanded basic” channels.

I was wondering why my recordings on TBS and SciFi had failed over the last week.  I spent the afternoon today attempting to update my channels using scte65scan (the last time this happened Comcast had moved some of my channels around) to no avail.

I can now use my mythbox to record only channels 2-13.  I am upset, especially since Comcast didn’t give me any notice they were implementing this, and now I am paying for cable that is even more useless than it was.

I guess I will try and figure out what my cable box options are.

Mostly wanted to pass this along to the list in case anyone else in the Seattle area is seeing issues.

Jim