[mythtv-users] Possible to change channels via USB?

bhaskins at chartermi.net bhaskins at chartermi.net
Tue Dec 15 22:48:30 UTC 2009

---- Rod Smith <mythtv at rodsbooks.com> wrote:
> On Monday 14 December 2009 09:04:30 pm Ajay Sharma wrote:
> > I have a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3100 and it has a USB port on the
> > front.  So naturally I plugged in a keyboard and was able to change
> > channels on the cable box!  So now this begs the question, how can I script
> > this?
> >
> > Does anyone know of a way to make my system "appear" as a keyboard to the
> > cable box and a way that I send send keyboard commands to the box?
> >
> > OR should I just get an ir transmitter and go that route?
>
> Does this box have an IEEE-1394 (FireWire) port? If so, you might be able to
> use that for channel changes, even if your cable company encrypts everything
> coming off that port. I've got a Motorola box from which I can extract video
> via FireWire for most channels, but even for the channels that come over that
> port encrypted, I can still use the FireWire port to tune the channel,

How much of this are you doing with myth?

> which I then capture via S-Video output to a Hauppauge tuner card.

I'm doing the same thing and the results of either FW or SV are great but
I haven't ( yet ) been able to come up with a nice way to switch between the two.
In other words, I can do a for FireWire setup or one for S-video ( changing channels
with the STB remote and manual start/stop ) but the S-Video method is very much a
work in progress.
I have a DCH3200 and a DCH3416 both set  up as OK with my cable company.