[mythtv-users] MythVideo not reading metadata

Jarom McDonald jarom_mcdonald at byu.edu
Tue Dec 15 17:33:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 12:34 AM, Robert McNamara <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:13 PM, Jarom McDonald <jarom_mcdonald at byu.edu>
> wrote:
> > I'm currently running Mythbuntu 9.04, in which I've upgraded all the
> MythTV
> > packages to JYA's 0.22 fixes. I'd never had MythVideo installed until a
> few
> > weeks ago, where I added in 5 SMB folders (they're mounted by the OS on
> > boot) for MythVideo to scan (without using storage groups, as some of my
> > videos will require mplayer).
> > The videos play just fine. Yesterday, however, I took a shot at loading
> > metadata. After doing so using the tmdb automated scripts for about 200
> > videos, I left MythVideo. When I re-entered it, the video list appeared
> > again, but did so metadata-less. It was as if I had never run the tmdb
> > script on any of the videos.
> > The really strange thing, however, is that the videometadata table in the
> > mythconverg DB still has the proper information, and everything looks
> fine
> > with it. It has the right paths to the files, the proper location of the
> fan
> > art/cover art (which is all still there, too), the full descriptions that
> > had been downloaded, etc. MythVideo just doesn't associate it with the
> > videos, however. If I rerun the metadata download script again, it makes
> > new entry in the videometadata table, which is then subsequently ignored
> > when I leave MythVideo and come back in.
> > What in the videometadata table is MythVideo looking for that it doesn't
> > seem to be finding? Does it work off of the full video file path? Could
> the
> > fact that the "folders" MythVideo is pointed at are really Samba mounts
> be
> > an issue here? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
> Sounds a lot like you're trying to grab metadata for file entries in
> file browse mode, rather than scanning properly.  Are you actually
> running a scan?  Are you in file browse mode?  What happens when you
> turn it off?
> Robert

No, I'm in metadata browse mode with the "gallery" view; but your question
prompted me to check all of my Media settings, and sure enough, there's a
setting that says "Video List Loads Meta Data" which had been unchecked
(likely inadvertently on my part). I flipped that setting and, sure enough,
the video list started loading the metadata, just like it ought to.

Many thanks, and my apologies for the somewhat inane problem!

Jarom McDonald
Assistant Research Professor, Humanities Technology
1163-G JFSB, Provo, UT 84602