[mythtv-users] how to delete all senders?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Tue Dec 15 11:00:29 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 01:31:48PM +0000, Nick Morrott wrote:

> > Yeah --- I'll probably have to start from scratch.
>
> What problems are you still having?

No noticeable problems atm --- but I don't know if I broke the
database by removing channels without names manually like I did.

> Deleting the unnamed channels (as you mentioned at the start of the
> thread) would not affect the integrity of the database.

Are you sure? If it doesn't, it would probably be more efficient to
work with the database to improve on the channel list than using
mythtv-setup.

> You can set a valid starting channel for the affected input in
> mythtv-setup on the Input Connections screens for that input.

I'm not sure how to do that ... I did have to set a starting channel
to get it to work, but apparently they can only be set by giving a
number. Since there isn't any good overview over the available
channels and their numbers, I used an arbitrary number and left it at
that when I found that it works.

It would be really useful if I could use a list of favorite channels
--- I think I have set that up in mythfrontend, but I don't see a way
to use it. When watching live TV and switching channels, it's
switching through all available channels.

> Out of interest, is this a DVB-S setup? Here in the UK, a full tuned
> DVB-S scan can result in a lot of unnamed/garbage channels.

Yes --- I'm in Germany, so we're probably getting pretty much the same
mess of channels :)

> I usually set their 'visible' and 'useonairguide' flags to off to
> stop them from being used. The digital scanner also has several
> options to ignore encrypted channels that could otherwise break
> recordings/LiveTV if MythTV attempts to use them.

Well, ok, then how do you use regexps to tag those channels and set
their flags? It would take hours through the GUI but only a few
seconds with a mysql statement.

Hm, I guess I really need information about the database design.