[mythtv-users] HVR-1600 analog section not showing up as MPEG-2 encoder

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Dec 15 05:55:30 UTC 2009

| From: Dale Pontius <DEPontius at edgehp.net>

| For some reason, it never shows up right for me, either.  Any
| auto-detection of the card looks like a stock analog card without the
| hardware MPEG2.  I just kind of force it.  There is enough flexibility
| in the UI to force in the settings that I know are right, either by
| picklist or typing into a field.  Once you've entered the right
| information into the fields, it works.

You are right.  The picklist does not work for me, but typing the
/by-path/ path in manually works.  And it is actually better because
the path for a particular card is stable across reboots.

| However, I'll agree with Rick, and say that you should first verify that
| the card is working properly with something less complex than MythTV.

Yes.  Done.

| Finally I should put a plug in for the v4l Mercurial drivers, instead of
| the in-kernel drivers.

I found out that this was not optional, even with Ubuntu 9.10's
kernel.  I used the the advice in
  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HVR-1600
In fact, I added a a note about needing to configure firedtv module to
n to avoid build errors.

|  Things got pretty good with the in-kernel
| drivers a few months back, then Devin Heitmueller messed it all up.  He
| managed to significantly improve the signal on the ATSC/QAM capture
| side, making its Linux performance equivalent to Windows.  I went from
| getting no ClearQAM signals from Comcast to getting the full complement
| of local broadcast.  Hats off to Dave!  (Wonder how long it'll take to
| get into the mainstream kernel?)

I found glitches in the vanila Ubuntu module recording analogue.

I wish I needed the ClearQAM.  In Canada, cable companies are not
forced by the CRTC (like US FCC) to leave any digital signals in the
clear.  I'm jealous of you in the US.