[mythtv-users] The fonts in mythtvfrontend ...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 15 01:35:52 UTC 2009

On 12/14/2009 08:36 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 14:30 +0100, lee wrote:
>
>> Ok, but when display is 82dpi, should I still set it to 100?

MythTV couldn't care less what you set it to (as long as your display
aspect ratio is correct).

>>  Isn't it
>> better to use the correct values (if those given by the display are
>> correct)?
>>

> In general, you should not lie to your software about how things are.
> When you do, the software will do things unlike you expect.
>
> DPI = Dots Per Inch.  So get a measuring tape out and measure the width
> of your physical screen and then take the number of pixels in the
> horizontal measure of your resolutions and divide that the number of
> inches in physical screen width.  That's your DPI and that's what it
> should be set to.

Or, better, set the DisplaySize directly and let X compute the DPI (as
they're /not/ independent settings).  But read the wiki pages so you can
see which ones override others, and which are standard and...

> Maybe the video card/screen get that right.  Maybe they don't.
> Certainly in the case of analog TV out, I couldn't imagine how it could
> possibly be correct as the video hardware has no idea of the physical
> size of your TV.  For a digital screen, with EDID, there is no reason it
> should be wrong, but it would not be the first time that logic lost out.

Also read the FAQ entry about what DPI will do:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frequently_Asked_Questions#All_my_fonts_look_like_they_are_the_wrong_sizes.2C_how_can_I_correct_this.3F

Mike