[mythtv-users] HVR-1600 analog section not showing up as MPEG-2 encoder

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Tue Dec 15 00:35:18 UTC 2009

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> In myth setup, my HVR-1600 tuner cards don't show up when I choose Card
> Type IVTV MPEG-2 encoder.
>
> I'm trying to follow directions in
>   http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HVR-1600
> to setup these cards.
>
> According to that page, they should show up.
>
> What's up?  Is the wiki page wrong?  Am I doing something wrong?

For some reason, it never shows up right for me, either.  Any
auto-detection of the card looks like a stock analog card without the
hardware MPEG2.  I just kind of force it.  There is enough flexibility
in the UI to force in the settings that I know are right, either by
picklist or typing into a field.  Once you've entered the right
information into the fields, it works.

However, I'll agree with Rick, and say that you should first verify that
the card is working properly with something less complex than MythTV.

Finally I should put a plug in for the v4l Mercurial drivers, instead of
the in-kernel drivers.  Things got pretty good with the in-kernel
drivers a few months back, then Devin Heitmueller messed it all up.  He
managed to significantly improve the signal on the ATSC/QAM capture
side, making its Linux performance equivalent to Windows.  I went from
getting no ClearQAM signals from Comcast to getting the full complement
of local broadcast.  Hats off to Dave!  (Wonder how long it'll take to
get into the mainstream kernel?)

Dale Pontius