[mythtv-users] Windows Media Center w/ Cable Card used as MythTV Tuner

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Mon Dec 14 17:02:26 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:51 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
>> My point was that if you already had the machine, it's not cheaper to get a
>> HDPVR & rent a set top box.
>
>    Given the dearth of such boxes, that is a pointless constraint.
>
>    OTOH, I can go to Frys right now and pick myself up an HD-PVR and grab the
> cheapest box they've got and build an HD Recorder from scratch. There will be
> no restrictions on what machine I can attach the HD-PVR to. There will be no
> restrictions on what I can do with the recordings.
>
>    Plus the cable card will require it's own rental fee.

One of the things people tend to forget though is the ability of the
most cable provided STBs to allow you to record two streams at the
same time.  So to get comparable functionality, you need two cable
boxes and two HD-PVRs.

Don't get me wrong, the HD-PVR is still a great box.  But let's be
sure to do an apples to apples comparison when looking at the costs.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com