[mythtv-users] Installing mythbuntu with myth 22 using latest nvidia drivers

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 00:08:34 UTC 2009

On Sun, Dec 13, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I think this could be a little misleading.
> > I use Mythbuntu 9.10 and do not use Jean-Yves repos, and I am able to
> > change to the newer Nvidia binary drivers without having to 'reinstall
> > mythtv'.
>
> The standard mythbuntu mythtv packages are compiled against
> nvidia-185-libvdpau. So when you switch to 190 you switched to
> nvidia-190-libvdpau, and therefore you have to reinstall myth to a
> version that was compiled against that file. You don't have to reset
> stuff up. Aptitude should just pull in the packages for you. But if
> there is some issue then you are left to figure out if it is the new
> driver or because you reinstalled mythtv. It is just cleaner to have
> the mythtv packages separated from the vdpau drivers. You can update
> drivers that are the same version (ie 190.xx to 190.yy) without
> reinstalling myth. But you can't switch between major drivers with the
> standard packages without reinstalling mythtv.

After everything was said and done -

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nvidia-vdpau/ppa

Software sources
Updates
Check off "Pre-released updates (karmic-proposed)"

So here are my final installed nvidia packages -

dpkg -l|grep nvidia
ii  nvidia-173-modaliases                173.14.20-0ubuntu5
        Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
ii  nvidia-185-libvdpau
 190.42-0ubuntu1~karmic~nvidiavdpauppa4     Transitional package for
nvidia-190-libvdpau
ii  nvidia-185-modaliases
 190.42-0ubuntu1~karmic~nvidiavdpauppa4     Transitional package for
nvidia-190-modalias
ii  nvidia-190-kernel-source
190.42-0ubuntu1~karmic~nvidiavdpauppa4     NVIDIA binary kernel module
source
ii  nvidia-190-libvdpau
 190.42-0ubuntu1~karmic~nvidiavdpauppa4     Video Decode and Presentation
API for Unix
ii  nvidia-190-modaliases
 190.42-0ubuntu1~karmic~nvidiavdpauppa4     Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary
X.Org drive
ii  nvidia-96-modaliases                 96.43.13-0ubuntu6
       Modaliases for the NVIDIA binary X.Org drive
ii  nvidia-common                        0.2.15.1
        Find obsolete NVIDIA drivers
ii  nvidia-glx-185
190.42-0ubuntu1~karmic~nvidiavdpauppa4     Transitional package for
nvidia-glx-190
ii  nvidia-glx-190
190.42-0ubuntu1~karmic~nvidiavdpauppa4     NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
ii  nvidia-glx-190-dev
190.42-0ubuntu1~karmic~nvidiavdpauppa4     NVIDIA binary Xorg driver
development files
rc  nvidia-settings                      180.25-0ubuntu1
       Tool of configuring the NVIDIA graphics driv
ii  nvidia-settings-190
 190.42-0ubuntu1~karmic~nvidiavdpauppa1     Tool of configuring the NVIDIA
graphics driv

Make sure you install "nvidia-settings-190"

When running nvidia-settings GUI there is now a slid bar for the mighty
"overscan" option

However when adjusting it(only a single slid bar) I really don't see it
doing anything with the screen.  Didn't spend much time
on it tonight will investigate again tomorrow.  Also reading through the
documentation it looks like any changes made need to
be saved to

FILES
       ~/.nvidia-settings-rc

And read back in on a reboot or log off/log on