[mythtv-users] VLC plays on wrong screen.

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 02:24:27 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Allen Edwards
<allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Allen Edwards
> <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Okay since you are familiar with VLC and you know it works, use that.  As
>>> for where to put the command, it's really up to you.  Do you want to use it
>>> for all videos, or just .iso files?  If you want it for all videos, go to
>>> Media Settings->Videos Settings->Player Settings, and make it your default
>>> video player.  If you want it for only .iso's, go to Media Settings->Videos
>>> Settings->File Types, go to "iso" and put the player command there.
>>>
>>> Follow the advice of the wiki.  Make it fullscreen.  Disable the OSD.  Map
>>> the key bindings so they match what MythTV uses.  Add commands to the
>>> .lircrc file if you're using LIRC.  These last two items should drastically
>>> improve the WAF.
>>>
>>> -- Kevin
>>>

>> I have everything working except for one very important thing.  VLC
>> runs full screen and the remote is working.  My video starts like it
>> should.  Problem is that the video starts on the control monitor and
>> not on the TV.  This is very strange because when I set up a button on
>> the myth main menu to just start VLC, it would run on the TV.  But
>> with the command entered in the .iso section, the focus jumps to the
>> control monitor (Screen0) away from the TV (Screen1), where Myth runs,
>> and the video plays on the control monitor.
>>
>> I googled around but can find nothing on this.  It is probably
>> something simple like some command to tell VLC to play on the Screen1
>> but I can't find it.
>>
>> Screen0 is my LCD and Screen1 is either a CRT TV or a projector.
>>
>> Hopefully someone knows the answer to this.
>>
>> Allen
>>

> This may be a bug on myth 0.21 (which is what I am using).
>
> For the record, I have the following in /etc/mythtv/sessions-settings:
> MYTHFRONTEND_OPTS="-display :0.1"
>
> I see no reason why VLC should switch over to the other monitor.
>
> Allen

Well, I give up.
I got VLC to play in Screen1 with the following command:

DISPLAY=:0.1  vlc file://%s  vlc://quit

But there is no sound.  Setting spdif=1 in vlcrc does not help.

VLC plays fine with sound in Screen1 if I just start it from a mythtv
main screen button but then you have to use a mouse to select the file
to play from a file menu.  Poor WAF.

I pride myself as an digital audio expert and follow every digital
audio thread here for the last almost year so I am dead here and I
give up.  Back to the internal player and if a video won't play, I
will fire vlc off manually.  At least I have a remote that works and
vlc goes into full screen by itself.

Kevin, thanks so much for your help.

Allen