[mythtv-users] CPU load when watching TV

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Sat Dec 12 23:19:02 UTC 2009

On Saturday 12 December 2009 06:05:10 pm Brian Wood wrote:
> On Saturday 12 December 2009 03:58:53 pm lee wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the CPU load when watching live TV with the mythtvfrontend seems to be
> > rather high. Is there anything I could do about that?
>
> More details on your system, and the actual numbers, would help. So you can
> start by seeing if you are radically different from others.
>
> VDPAU will drop your CPU load, assuming the load is from decoding the video
> and not something else.

Another observation: In my experience, misconfiguring X can result in a heavy
CPU load from X, vs. from the MythTV frontend. If you use the text-mode Linux
top program, you can see what processes are consuming a lot of CPU time. If
the X CPU load approaches or exceeds that of the MythTV frontend, it could be
you need to tweak your X configuration. This is an issue independent of
VDPAU, although it does interact with other factors, such as the video card
type, the resolution you're displaying, and the resolution and type of video
you're playing. In any event, posting the relative CPU loads from X, the
MythTV frontend, and anything else that's consuming more than, say, 5-10% of
CPU time could be helpful.

One other point: Even if the CPU load is high, that's not necessarily a
problem, so long as video playback is still smooth. If the high load is
causing pauses, stuttering, sluggish responses to remote commands, etc., then
it's a real problem.

--
Rod Smith