[mythtv-users] Question about testing a patch

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 11 20:18:02 UTC 2009

OK, so I have the latest Mythbuntu 0.22-fixes auto-build installed
(22954 I think; I'm not @ home to verify), and I downloaded the latest
trunk (22970) to look around the code.  I have an idea for an
improvement (at least 1 I'd like to see).  I was looking at the code and
I have an idea on what I need to do, but I've never compiled Myth from
source before.  So, I have a few questions:

1) When I upgraded to Mythbuntu 9.10 and 0.22, should the required
development tools already be installed for me?

2) My system is the 64 bit version.  Does the Wiki have the steps
documented on how to compile from source?  The ./configure step, etc.?
Should I see what my existing mythbackend and mythfrontend were compiled
with using --version so I can setup the configure script properly?

3) Since I don't want to reinstall everything, can I check out the same
version from SVN that's on my system?  Then, can I stop mythbackend,
rename the executable, and put the new one in its place?  The code is in
the backend only from what I can tell.  Is this sufficient?

4) After I (hopefully) test the change, I assume I can submit the
updated code to the developers in Trac somehow, right?

Thanks for any help.  Please go easy on me, its my 1st attempt at trying
to implement a patch.

Harry