[mythtv-users] Problem Compiling mythplugins (specifically mythvideo)

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 18:57:53 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Christopher Moore
<g8keepr007 at optonline.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 1:51 PM, Robert McNamara wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Christopher Moore
>> <g8keepr007 at optonline.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm running Fedora 12, with what I believe to be all of the correct
>>> development packages installed.  Mythtv (the directory) itself compiled
>>> fine, but I'm having issues compiling the mythplugins.
>>
>>> Metadata::VideoFileHash(const QString&, const QString&)’:
>>> metadata.cpp:923: error: ‘GetFileHash’ is not a member of ‘RemoteFile’
>>> metadata.cpp:926: error: ‘FileHash’ was not declared in this scope
>>> make[2]: *** [metadata.o] Error 1
>>> make[2]: Leaving directory
>>> `/home/g8keepr/Download/MythTV/SVN/mythplugins/mythvideo/mythvideo'
>>> make[1]: *** [sub-mythvideo-make_default] Error 2
>>> make[1]: Leaving directory
>>> `/home/g8keepr/Download/MythTV/SVN/mythplugins/mythvideo'
>>> make: *** [sub-mythvideo] Error 2
>>>
>>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>>

>> The version of plugins you are attempting to compile does not match
>> the Myth libraries installed on your system.  MythTV and the plugins
>> must be identical revisions, and you must do a make install on mythtv
>> before attempting a plugin compile.  The file hashing code referenced
>> above exists in core MythTV, which is in turn called by MythVideo.
>>
>> Robert
> Ah.  I've just compiled the SVN mythtv directory, but not installed it. I
> still have a rpm version installed.
>
> Thanks

<corrected your top posting>

Definitely do *not* install trunk Myth over packages, but rather
remove them first before doing your make install or attempting to run
any binaries.  Steamrolling over existing, older installs is a recipe
for disaster and is (in my experience) an extremely common cause of
random crashing and instability in people's self-compiled Myth
systems.

Robert