[mythtv-users] IMON LCD backlight

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Fri Dec 11 14:42:40 UTC 2009

> I'll have to reexamine things.  I hooked up everything they said to in
> the instructions - I guess I thought that any connection to the PWR pin
> was prewired between the imon and the power switch.  (One of the Antec
> Veris line, approx 1 year old.)

On my case (a Thermaltake DH-101 with iMon LCD),  from what I recall
the power button is tied into iMon's circuit board, and the cable that
goes to your motherboard's power switch connector comes from that
circuit board. Thus, the iMon should be able to turn on the system
from the remote any time that the power button would be able to turn
it on (assuming the iMon is getting +5V through USB at the time).

>Will the imon only turn it on with an imon remote?

I've been under the assumption that any Windows Media Center remote
would be able to power it on or off, but not other remotes (though
I've not verified). The iMon's IR receiver is quite limited. It
doesn't pick up IR signals from a lot of remotes (including my
preferred remotes...I personally hate the layout of the iMon's Pad
remote). Thus, on my system I actually have a separate IR receiver
hooked up and completely disregard the iMON's one.

All in all, I'm more disappointed than not by the iMon LCD. I can't
use it to turn on the system via remote like I hoped (since the remote
sucks IMHO). The backlight doesn't turn off when the system shuts
down. The LCD's contrast actually sucks pretty badly, such that it's
hard to read the LCD from any reasonable distance unless the text is
full height (which really limits how much text you can display at
once). The fixed set of status icons has quickly become dated (options
for video format are mpeg, xvid, divx, and wmv). All in all, I thought
it would have been a really cool toy, but I've lost a lot of my
enthusiasm for it. About the only way it comes in very handy for me is
that I have it setup (using my own custom software to control it and
interface with myth) to display myth's playback progress using one of
the iMon's progress bars, so I can quickly glance at it and see a show
is about halfway done (convenient when my wife has control of the
remote...easier than asking her to hit the button to check).

Sorry about the rant...this thread has just touched on too many of the
devices sour points and I felt the need to vent. :-)

--
Ron
Ronald Frazier Photography - http://www.ronfphoto.com/