[mythtv-users] Rogers On Demand On line launched

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Fri Dec 11 14:25:29 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 09:02 -0500, Tom Lichti wrote:

> Okay, I guess you just need to be a customer, period.

I'm surprised by that.  I wonder if that non-cable-subscribing Rogers
phone customer was activated in error or something.  This article
(http://www.itbusiness.ca/IT/client/en/Home/News.asp?id=55568)
specifically states:

        Rogers Communication Inc. launched an online video site on
        Monday, allowing existing subscribers to access content from
        channels they subscribe to via the Web.

Which to me means you have to have a cable service subscription.

The reason I wonder this is because they must realize that giving the
cable service away "for free" to subscribers of any other Rogers service
is going to cut into the cable revenues.

If I were a Rogers phone, Internet and cable customer and I were
perfectly happy to always watch TV on my computer via their new service,
I could get rid of my cable service and save $50+/month.  If I could
overcome the technological hurdle of getting flash on my TV[1], I'd have
even more reason to do it.

> I'm not
> interested in the service, so I didn't really investigate it too
> closely,.

You wouldn't be interested if you could do [1]?  I think that has the
potential to replace analog cable signal tuner(s).

b.

[1] Which simply means getting over the technological hurdle of
capturing and transcoding the flash so I can import it into Myth.  I
know mplayer for example has some sort of flash playing ability --
although I have not really investigated it much and TBH, don't really
know much about flash -- shockwave, flv, etc.  There is also the "flash
downloader" tool for Firefox, etc.