[mythtv-users] Fixing overscan

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 23:37:09 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
> Ronald Frazier wrote:
>>>
>>> My TV is nominally 1366x768.  However, it actually displays around
>>> 1280x680
>>> pixels, the rest is lost.  In the past, I've twiddled with the modelines,
>>> but my TV (a Sharp Aquos) is notoriously finicky and has all sorts of
>>> sync
>>> issues if the modeline isn't exact.  So I'm back to losing the outer bit
>>> of
>>> my images.
>>>

>> My Sharp Aquos is pixel perfect. No overscan, and there shouldn't be
>> "overscan" on any LCD (overscan meaning part of the screen that is
>> physically not visible). However, many LCDs will do a stretch mode on
>> the display, but most will let you turn this off. On Aquos TVs (or at
>> least on mine) this is not actually settable anywhere in the TVs menu
>> (as far as I can tell), but the remote has a "View Mode" button for
>> this. The value you are looking for is "dot by dot" (default is
>> "stretch").
>>

> Mine's a first generation; it has no dot-by-dot mode that I've been able to
> find.  It strives to emulate the older analog TVs a bit too well.  The view
> mode only brings up a "stretch" mode.

Different companies call it different things and hide the option in
different places!

Sony Bravia:

HOME > Settings > Setup > Screen Settings > Display Area

It was set to NORMAL
I changed it to FULL PIXEL

Back to the original question, I think you need the latest
nvidia-settings progrm which is NOT installed with the drivers (well
depends on your packager's whim really).