[mythtv-users] 'Wakeup' Delay on Idle Frontend

Mark Garland mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk
Thu Dec 10 22:12:07 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I've been running 0.22-fixes out of the (K)Ubuntu repos for about a month
now and really like it.

One thing I've noticed is that when my combined frontend/backend has been
left idle at the menu for some time (say overnight, or all day), when you
press a button on the remote (or keyboard) there is a 4-5 second delay
before the frontend responds.  Normally, things like up and down work
instantly, but changing between menu screens, especially going into "Watch
Recordings", gives the delay.

I don't think it is a resource issue - the machine has plenty of RAM, has an
idle CPU, I can't hear any extensive harddisk accesses during the delay, and
the database is optimised nightly and was blank 4 weeks ago (compressed back
up size is <15mb).
I also don't remember this happening in 0.21-fixes.

I'll have to do some more investigation (i.e. monitoring the disk/cpu)
before that first remote button push, but for the time being I wanted to ask
if anyone else was experiecing this, or whether it was a known bug?

Thanks,

MG