[mythtv-users] IONITX-C tearing 1080p

Bobby Schwartz rschwartz at lastar.com
Thu Dec 10 13:30:23 UTC 2009

> I agree that having sync to vblank is likely not helpful.
> The VDPAU readme says something to the effect that the Triplebuffer
> option allocates more memory to 2D buffers (by stealing it from the 3D
> buffer pool). Doing this should be helpful for our use case.
> Otherwise I don't understand when this switch might be useful.
>
> Using it  did seem to decrease the odd 'jumpiness' I experienced with
> 1080i streams back when the 180 series of drivers were new.
> I haven't actually tested whether there is a difference with the newer
> drivers. I have just left it enabled.
> And I have no tearing, so obviously my version of the magic
incantation
> does not need to be touched. YMMV of course!
>
> If someone does test, please post.
> Geoff

I did find that adding No Composite to xorg.conf cleaned up tearing
quite a bit.  It took me from "it's watchable" to "that's pretty good."

My setup right now:
HD-PVR output (h.264 @ 1080i)
Zotac IONITX (Atom 230, GeForce 9400) passively cooled
1920x1080 output resolution
OpenGL vSync is OFF
VDPAU w/ Advanced 1x deinterlacing
TripleBuffer setting is absent

I added the following section to xorg.conf.  Obviously you have to
restart X.

Section "Extensions"
    Option         "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection