[mythtv-users] recommended IR transmitter? -Try Hippo Remote

Jim Chisholm jim at electron.phys.dal.ca
Wed Dec 9 22:27:35 UTC 2009

Ajay Sharma wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:52 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org
> <mailto:beww at beww.org>> wrote:
>

>     You can use a MyBlaster with a USB-to-serial adapter, unlike the
>     LIRC type
>     blasters.
>
>     If you stop using yours, I'm sure somebody here (like me) would
>     take it off
>     your hands.
>

> Yes, I'm well aware that the myblaster is a special piece of hardware
> especially for the dish network people and would never just toss it.
> I'll make sure it finds a good home to someone who needs it.  :)
>
> --Ajay

Not to hijack this thread but I like many others have spent considerable
time getting their blaster to work properly.
However I've recently started using an itouch/iphone app called Hippo
Remote and it's brilliant. Instant response since it's networked, not IR,
controls the desktop mouse as well and has several templates built in ie
VLC as well as a nice itouch/iphone keyboard.
In conjunction with XBMC (which it has a template for) it makes for a
GREAT frontend remote interface. I'm very impressed with XBMC in
conjunction with my mythtv backend.
So if you have an itouch or iphone you really should check out this remote.
I haven't needed my Hauppauge or Dinovo keyboard since I got it.