[mythtv-users] The Boxee Box

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Dec 9 17:03:35 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 09 December 2009 09:57:30 am Johnny Walker wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 10:14 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 09 December 2009 09:02:37 am Yan Seiner wrote:
> >> I don't understand this attitude.  My customers pay me a reasonable
fee
> >> for a piece of hardware and then a reasonable fee for the service I
> >> provide.  (It must be reasonable to them - they keep paying).  I'm not
> >> sure why the entertainment industry giants don't understand this
simple
> >> truth.
> >
> > They have been sold on the concept of "control". To a large extent by
> > Microsoft, who wants to be the sole provider of DRM "solutions".
> >
> > If you purchase a chair, the seller assumes you will not use it to break
> > a jewelry store window. if you buy a brick, the seller does not assume
> > you will use it to pummel your spouse to death.
> >
> > But with video content, the seller assumes that you are the worst sort
of
> > criminal, because MS has determined they can make money by pushing
that
> > sort of assumption.
> >
> > I'm happy to pay for content, but not again and again under
circumstances
> > where I can't use it the way I want to.
>
> Another good example is Sony Digital Software - or formerly Sonic
> Foundry Software - I used to use these products Sound Forge, Acid Pro
> and Vegas Video - They weren't cheap - like hundreds of dollars each.
> They would routinely de-register themselves and start encoding
> watermarks and audio watermarks into rendered files until I could get
> tech support on the line to correct the license issues.
>
> Finally even though I had valid licenses I downloaded crack programs
> to remove the license checking software so I could use my otherwise
> legally purchased software.
>
> What a pain.

Just confirms what we all know, DRM just annoys legitimate customers, and
does nothing to stop piracy.

One place I used to work instituted a policy of never buying any software
"protected" by a dongle of any sort. We were finally able to get a copy of
Autocad that didn't require a dongle, after we told them we would NOT
purchase anything that did.

More of that sort of thing might get the message across, once they realize it
is costing sales.