[mythtv-users] The Boxee Box

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Dec 9 16:14:59 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 09 December 2009 09:02:37 am Yan Seiner wrote:

> I don't understand this attitude.  My customers pay me a reasonable fee
> for a piece of hardware and then a reasonable fee for the service I
> provide.  (It must be reasonable to them - they keep paying).  I'm not
> sure why the entertainment industry giants don't understand this simple
> truth.

They have been sold on the concept of "control". To a large extent by
Microsoft, who wants to be the sole provider of DRM "solutions".

If you purchase a chair, the seller assumes you will not use it to break a
jewelry store window. if you buy a brick, the seller does not assume you will
use it to pummel your spouse to death.

But with video content, the seller assumes that you are the worst sort of
criminal, because MS has determined they can make money by pushing that
sort of assumption.

I'm happy to pay for content, but not again and again under circumstances
where I can't use it the way I want to.