[mythtv-users] ot: Intel may buy Nvidia?

Ian Clark mrrooster at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 11:03:23 UTC 2009

2009/12/9 Marc Barrett <mnealbarrett at cox.net>

> [snip - intel buy nVidia]

I would be very suprised if this actually came to pass, nVidia do look like
they're slowly deflating in a cupboard (apart from their low power stuff(,
their latest part is very very late, and dogged by manufacturing problems.

Also, intel are more than capable of designing stuff themselves, the next
iteration of the Atom does feature an integrated graphics part for example.
I would be very surprised if they did this without giving it enough oomph
for the HD stuff.

Also, I'm not sure Larrabee has been canned, as I understand it they have
decided not to release a GPU with the first version (which is quite late
already), and are pushing it out to the HPC crowd, with the second iteration
being slated for the GPU stuff. [1]

Also, if intel bought nVidida they would probably be looking at some serious
anti competitive stuff, as they would have the CPU/GPU market pretty much
sewn up given their huge manufacturing advantage (they do have some pretty
advanced fabs), it would probably be in their interest to keep nVidia
separate (but quite poorly) for some competition.

Will be interesting if it happens though.

Ian

[1] From the oh so excitable but often right Charlie D here:

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2009/12/04/intel-kills-consumer-larrabee-focuses-future-variants/

or the slightly more sedate TGDaily here:

http://www.tgdaily.com/hardware-opinion/44949-larrabee-we-didnt-know-you-well-enough