[mythtv-users] Upgraded Mythbox from Fedora10 to Fedora12 remote control works partially

O&M Ugarcina mo.ucina at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 12:07:35 UTC 2009

Hello Guys,

I have just upgraded my Mythbox (myth .22) based on a Zalman Hd-160 case
, asus p5b motherboard , from fedora 10 to fedora 12 . The remote
control is now partially working , that is to say full control over Myth
, but no control over external applications such as Mplayer Xine or VLC
. All those applications were controllable under fedora 10 . Now, my box
does not use lirc per say , it uses irserver software from irtrans to
run the lcd as well as the ir remote . As far as I understand it is very
similar to lirc . My config files for myth are in ~/.mythtv/lircrc (only
myth related keys) and all is ok there , the config for external  apps
is in ~/.lircrc (with mplayer,xine and vlc keys) . And as I said all
worked perfectly in fedora 10 which by the way had lirc-0.8.4 software
installed . Lirc is only still in the pc to satisfy some mythtv
dependencies - sitting there dormant. Or this is what I thought .
Because when I did an experiment and removed fedora 12 lirc 0.8.6
version and installed in its place fedora 10 lirc 0.8.4 , my remote
control was able to control myth as well as all the external apps . I
would have liked to have left it that way however f10 lirc had some
other strange side-effects that forced me to put back the f12 lirc . At
which point xine mplayer and vlc stopped being controllable again .

So my question is has something changed in lirc from 0.8.4 to 0.8.6 that
perhaps requires a change in the config to re-enable control . By the
way all my lirc config is at default , I have not touched a thing . Or
is there a software fault in lirc . Or do I really need it in the first
place since I thought that irserver was doing all the work . Any
information in getting the remote working fully would be greatly
appreciated - getting too much exercise in walking to the keyboard from
the couch to control other apps .

Best Regards

Milorad