[mythtv-users] AF9015 USB Tuner (Leadtek USB Dongle Gold) badly broken

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Sun Dec 6 07:59:28 UTC 2009

Hi everyone,

I bought a Leadtek USB Dongle Gold last week to use as a second tuner. Got
it up and running easily enough, and it was all looking promising - PIP was
working fine, and the first simultaneous test recordings worked perfectly.

And then I tried again later, and it didn't work at all.

Cue a day of me uninstalling, reinstalling, shuffling out other USB
peripherals, retuning, etc, etc.

The short version is that it works, but sometimes it tunes very slowly. As
in, 10's of minutes. I had a 30 minute program fail entirely yesterday
because it never sucessfully tuned. Other times, it will work perfectly.

The only related symptom is that I have 3 channels (all on the same
multiplex, 9 Networks) which I can't tune on either tuner - apparently they
use some non-standard offset. Anyhow, when the new tuner is in its "I don't
want to tune just yet" mode, failing entirely until suddenly it works, it
will NEARLY tune these "broken" channels, getting to "LMs".

Oh, and the tuner works perfectly under Windows XP, including the "broken"
channels.

Does anyone know where to start in tracking this one down?

Thanks,
- Chris