[mythtv-users] mythtv 0.22 backend on Ubuntu Hardy Heron

Matthew Asplund mattasplund at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 03:00:08 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 9:55 AM, Allen Edwards <allen.p.edwards at gmail.com>wrote:

> I currently enjoy a pretty high WAF (the system has run well for 18
>> months).
>

> Why on earth would you want to change anything?  Got an extra 40 hours open
> in your calendar you don't know what to do with?
>
> My advice (and don't listen to me I don't know anything) is to buy new hard
> drives or better yet a new computer and do the upgrade there.   Early on in
> my Myth career some wise person told me to treat Myth as an appliance.  You
> buy it and it works.  If it quits working, fix it.  If it ain't broke, don't
> fix it.
>
> After thinking about it, buy a new backend.  Hardware is cheap compared to
> what it will cost you if you screw up the WAF.
>
> Allen

> So true.  Unfortunately, spending money also feeds into the WAF.  I have a
spare 1.5 TB drive, and 2x750 in the current system.  Over christmas, I will
probably back up everything onto the 1.5 TB, and try a fresh Karmic install,
and then if it works, leave it alone.  I realize that I shouldn't get
seduced into running the newest and greatest front end stuff, but it is so
shiny and pretty.