[mythtv-users] FCC admits CableCARD a failure, vows to try something else

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Dec 5 23:07:33 UTC 2009

On Saturday 05 December 2009 03:51:32 pm David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Dec 5, 2009, at 9:29 AM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > The equipment to even show (project) a 35 or 70 mm file is extremely
> > expensive, I'm surprised it isn't close to the cost of a digital
> > projector.
>
> Theaters, especially smaller ones, don't necessarily buy new film
> projectors.  They sometimes re-use an old one from some theater that's
> closing.  I've seen at least one 40-year-old (at the time) projector
> operating in a second-run theater; it had originally come from a
> defunct drive-in.  The projectionist said in some ways it was more
> durable and better constructed than modern ones.

Certainly true in many fields besides theater projection.

> They often get refitted over the years for different sound systems,
> different light sources (e.g., ditching carbon arc lamps in favor of
> xenon HIDs), and different feed systems (turntable instead of reel to
> reel).  The lens is also unique to each theater, custom assembled for
> the needed throw distance.

I've seen some real monsters at the Museum of the Moving Image in NYC.
They also had a 35mm Rank CinTel that they actually let you play with.

It's an amazing place, they have an Ampex 1000 that looks brand new,
that's still operational. 4 racks of vacuum tube electronics.

It's the gate assembly that runs up the cost. Jerking a piece of film to a
start and stopping it instantly is hard to do without ripping the film to bits.

I've worked with 16mm projectors in the TV biz. Way back when the City of
NY decided that a TV showing was a "public performance" and wanted a cut
for each "patron", that got expensive with the NYC TV audience. Some
stations (like us) went from 35mm to 16mm to avoid that cost, others moved
their projectors to New Jersey and microwaved the video to the City, so it
was not a "New York" showing. The network affiliates just paid the price.