[mythtv-users] 'powerline' ethernet experience?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Dec 5 03:40:57 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 10:32 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2009, at 2:25 PM, Travis Tabbal wrote:
>> Wow.. That sucks. How about running it behind the baseboards? It's labor
>> intensive, but you can use a router to cut a little slot on the back to run
>> the cable in. I've also heard of people fishing cable under a carpet. If you
>> get it under the pad it might not be offensive to the feet. Let me guess,
>> tile flooring? :)
> I'm an apartment dweller, and I've had great success just tucking the cable
> between the carpet and the baseboard.  There's a gap there that one or two
> CAT5 cables will slide right into and disappear.  I still have to use those
> ugly rubber cable protector things where it crosses doorways, though.
> Routing grooves into the backs of the baseboards actually might be
> viable...I've seen it done for stealth network cable installs in a building
> I work in (don't ask.)
> Alternatively, if the problem is just that the 802.11b/g wireless channels
> in the neighborhood are too crowded for good throughput, there's always
> 802.11a...

I lucked out, the last remodel ran CAT5E for the phone lines. we don't
have a landline (all cell's) so we co-opted them for our house
ethernet. They were even nice enough to run a line to the basement so
I can put the mythbackend and fileserver down there where it stays
cool year round and can make as much noise as it wants.

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -