[mythtv-users] FCC admits CableCARD a failure, vows to try something else

Kevin Ross kevin at familyross.net
Fri Dec 4 22:24:53 UTC 2009

> > Now one person puts something
> > on bittorrent and a billion potential customers have free access to it.
> > I'm not saying DRM is a good idea, I'm just saying there's a reason it
> > gives them night terrors to think of giving open access to digital
content.

> It shouldn't if they were rational.  That's the rub.  If DRM were
> effective at keeping things off bittorrent then it could be
> justifiable.  But it isn't.  It just takes one person with hdmi ->
> hdfury2 -> hdpvr -> bittorrent and then it's out there in a form
> effectively indistinguishable from the original digital data.
>
> Eric

The online music industry has pretty much given up on DRM, since you can now
buy unencrypted, unprotected mp3's at the major online music stores.

I never bought online music when it had DRM, but I HAVE bought music once
they removed the DRM.  They figured out they could actually make MORE money
by removing DRM.

I wish the movie industry would follow suit.  But I think that's just a pipe
dream.