[mythtv-users] FCC admits CableCARD a failure, vows to try something else

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Fri Dec 4 21:56:35 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Alan Marchiori <alan at alanmarian.com> wrote:

> > what is allowed to access the stream outside of the tuner device. The
> tuner
> > output is unencrypted MPEG2 or h264 along with any status information
>
> you'll never get unencrypted output.  given that fact I'd be happy if
> the data stream was tied to my hardware or better yet a private key
> that is stored online, so I could 'login' from any stb and playback
> any stream I had recorded.  Then the content owners would know exactly
> who/where is watching their content too.  And I'd be happy.   I think
> this has been discussed before, but then if the content provider
> required you to watch ads or whatever they could temporarily revoke
> your access until you watch the mandated ads.  (that would be annoying
> to me, but if it makes the broadcaster happy, I can live with that).

Why not? I do today with ATSC. I see no reason I shouldn't be able to use
content I paid for on my own personal devices. It's past time for everyone
to accept that DRM is a retarded, impossible goal and move on with life.
There will always be people willing to steal. You can't stop it, so quit
wasting time, money, and energy on it. Give us what we want in a convenient,
reliable way for a decent price and plenty of people will pay for it.

Mandated ads? pffttt. I'll just stop watching instead, thanks. That's the
biggest reason I rip my DVDs and BDs to my file server. I also see no reason
anyone should be allowed to know what I watch and when. If that's how paid
systems are going to start working, I'll just join the "pirates". Again, I'm
already paying for this content. We've had unencrypted outputs this whole
time and yet we have this huge entertainment industry. I just don't see how
unencrypted output suddenly means everyone goes out of business. Using that
logic, the industry shouldn't exist.