[mythtv-users] VDPAU card power consumption

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Fri Dec 4 17:19:54 UTC 2009

On Fri, December 4, 2009 9:12 am, Greg Cope wrote:
> 2009/12/4 R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org>:
>>> Basically 36W max using VDPAU on SD content with an ESata disk in an
>>> external enclosure.
>>>
>>> Engaging VDPAU when watching SD Content seems to up the wattage by only
>>> 4w.
>>>
>>> A Revo uses a 9400M so is at the low end.
>>>

>> A Zotac ION-AU, dual core 330, using an external power brick, 9400M
>> chipset
>> and one 2.5" hard drive spiked at 35w during boot and ran at 27
>> basically
>> whatever I played. That without any suspend or screensaver etc. That
>> included High Def playback.
>
> My figures are the same.  As 8w or so of the 36w is the ESata brick.
>
> My next trick is to remove the WIFI card as I do not use it.  But that
> has nothing to do with Power Consumption of VDPAU capable cards.

Just prevent the module from loading, or make sure the radio doesn't turn
on.  The radio itself accounts for somewhere between 100 mA to 300 mA
depending on the brand and model.  It's not much - 1 W to 3W maybe.  Power
consumption really goes up when the radio is hunting and trying to connect
- looking for APs.  once it's connected it drops.

--
If you have eight hours to chop down a tree
spend six sharpening your axe.