[mythtv-users] Any Asus Aspire Revo Users Out There? SOLVED

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 13:33:58 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 4, 2009 at 8:17 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 04, 2009 at 07:56:40AM -0500, Patrick Doyle wrote:
>> But, not being an ALSA expert, it seems to me the most logical
>> place to say "I want this to be my default output device for this
>> computer" should be something like /etc/asound.conf.  I just hope that
>
>    No. The most logical place is something like ~user/asound.conf.
>
>    If you put it in /etc/ then you need to be root to change it. If it's
> in your own home directory then you can easily change it on an as needed
> basis without elevating yourself to root.

I would say the most logical place for configuring "the default output
audio device for this computer" should be in /etc.  It should only be
changed by root, as root is the person most concerned with the
operation of the computer as a whole.

If I, Joe User, want the default output device to be the analog port
on the front panel because I like to listen with my headphones, then I
would change it in ~/.asoundrc.

For a dedicated MythTV frontend, where the computer is being used to
drive a TV screen (using the term "TV" loosely, here), it seems to me
that one would want to set "the default audio output device for this
computer" to be the sound system associated with the TV screen.

For a random computer sitting around the house, on which I might log
in and run mythfrontend once in a while, I would probably set the
default device in ~/.asoundrc, since my choice of default audio device
might differ from my wife/brother/mother/son.

If I set up a dual display computer where mythfrontend was dedicated
to run on one display attached to the "TV" and the other display was
sitting on my desktop, and I wanted to listen to MP3s while working at
the desktop, I'd probably configure mythfrontend to use the audio
device attached to the "TV" sound system, and configure the default
audio device (in either /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc, depending on
other factors) to be associated with the desktop monitor.

Keep in mind that these are all the pontifical statements of a MythTV
newbie and might (probably?) go against the grain of conventional
wisdom.

--wpd