[mythtv-users] Advice on media players

Mudit Wahal mwahal at gmail.com
Fri Dec 4 02:11:57 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 6:54 AM, Michael Tiller <michael.tiller at gmail.com>wrote:

> The PCH fits the bill on all of the above.  I'm just wondering if there is
> anything else I should be looking at.  For example, Newegg has this
> combination Blu-ray/DLNA player<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16882005044>for $169.99.  I doubt my in-laws would use the Blu-ray much and I'd be
> concerned that the DLNA support wouldn't provide seamless MythTV integration
> but nevertheless it is interesting because of the range of capabilities.
>
> I don't see any body correcting it, but BD370 is NOT a DLNA player. Only
BD390 <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882005043> is
DLNA capable and that sells for 250+. The cheapest BD390 I saw was 199$ from
abcwarehouse or something. I got lucked out and bot BD370 from frys at $77
on black friday. BD370 plays netflix and youtube. If you are in UK, it'll
also play divx etc. US models dont play divx etc.

> So is the PCH the best HD MythTV player out there or is there something
> better (and by that I mean mostly cheaper :-).
>
> Not really. I always have problems with HD mpeg2-ts recordings, esp
ffwd/rew them. Also, if there is a glitch in audio in the recording, it has
tough time syncing back. Most of the time, the audio will be gone. I belive
PCH is best of torrent/mkv crowd.

I have IOData AVel Linkplayer 2 since 2005 and PCH A-100 since 2008 since I
don't want to put a PC in my living room. I think IOData was the best player
for playing mpeg2-TS recordings. BTW, for playing live TV on PCH, check this
out <https://ssl.bugfree.ch/trac/llink-mod/wiki> . Its awesome !!!