[mythtv-users] OT: Winter Hill work 2nd December?

Mike Dent mcdent at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 18:41:35 UTC 2009

2009/12/2 Ian Barton <lists at manor-farm.org>:

>> FWIW anybody now having problems with signal quality should now look
>> at their aerial & distribution setup since the power level of all
>> muxes has been boosted tenfold.
>>
>> Too much gain in any amplification, or using the wrong kind of aerial
>> or the wrong sort of combiner/splitter may result in damaging signal
>> distortion.
>>
> Wonder why I am now seeing so many BER (although picture quality seems
> fine). We have new aerial (approx 1yr old), which is correctly aligned. We
> are at least 60 miles away from the transmitter in the flatlands of
> Cheshire. We have a splitter box (not on the aerial) to divide the aerial
> into 4 feeds to our tuner cards. Unfortunately, this doesn't give any info
> as to its amplification and it's non adjustable.
>
> Somewhere I have a two way splitter with adjustable gain. I'll try this out
> and see if the BER drops.

Did you get anywhere with this problem?

I'm struggling with what seems like poor signal now, other TV's in the
house which I have retuned
seem fine, no artefacts or audio blips.
However on BBC1 for instance, I am seeing artefacts and audio problems
every 20 or 30 seconds?

I thought it was a problem with the Nova-T tuner cards so I removed
them and just have the USB tuner connected
but it is the same.

A Sony TV connected to the same amplified splitter is fine.

Mike

Mike