[mythtv-users] Transcoding flash, mov, and mpg video to play in myth

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 3 17:54:51 UTC 2009

On Thursday 03 December 2009 10:49:03 am Yan Seiner wrote:
> I have a bunch of snippets in flash, mpg, and .mov video format.  I'd like
> to make a single video out of these to play in Myth and eventually burn it
> to a DVD.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions on how to do that?  If I'm using mencoder,
> what is the best video format to use?  I really don't care too much about
> sound; I may add my own soundtrack later.

Obviously if you want to get it onto a DVD you'll want it in MPEG2 format,
conforming to either the NTSC or PAL DVD standards.

MPEG2 is also reasonably easy to edit, so I would transcode everything to
MPEG2 at a resolution and bitrate that conforms to DVDs.

Devede is pretty good at taking just about anything and converting it to DVD
compatible formats, whether you edit before or after the final conversion is
up to you.