[mythtv-users] NewEgg Cheap Nvidia GT220 Cards

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Dec 3 17:37:54 UTC 2009

On Thursday 03 December 2009 10:31:41 am greg wrote:

> This might sound strange,but what i do to make sure my fans are working
> properly is,once a year i peel the label back on the fan motor..I then
> place a one drop of oil on the shaft.. Since I have been doing this I
> haven't had a fan failure.. I started doing this after a fan failure
> cost me a CPU..

Doesn't sound at all strange to me, it makes perfect sense. It may well quiet
them a bit too.

This would work better on sleeve bearings than ball bearings, and would work
best on the bronze "oillite" bearings whose porous bronze material will hold
the oil well.

I have used hypodermic syringes to inject oil into bearings. I have a large
supply of such syringes, since I'm diabetic.