[mythtv-users] NewEgg Cheap Nvidia GT220 Cards

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Dec 3 17:08:22 UTC 2009

> I have a fanless 9500 card.
>
> After renting a forklift to help the UPS driver deliver the crate, I did
> manage to get the card into a case, blocking the PCI slot next to it. Modern
> mobos generally do not have PCI slots to throw away as heatsink spacers.
>
> Rather then worry about "fanless", I'd try to find a quiet, reliable fan, if
> it's needed for cooling.
>
> Generally a "fanless" card requires good airflow through the case to cool the
> heatsink, which simply transfers the fan to someplace other than on the
> card.
>
> There are quiet fans available, which anyone with normal hearing shouldn't
> be bothered with.
>
> Of course, having lived in Manhattan for many years, I am somewhat
> immune to noise. I often wonder where some of the people complaining
> about fan noise live, in an anechoic chamber? My watch makes more noise
> than some fans I have heard.

My biggest problem with these fans is that at some point in 2 to 5
years the fan will die causing you to have to either replace the card
or try to hack a replacement since there seems to be no standard fan.

And also you may not know the fan died quickly enough. At my
department at work this is the #1 cause of GPU and motherboard deaths
over the last 5 years.

John