[mythtv-users] ION boards, 230 vs 330, fans?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Dec 3 15:38:12 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 08:00:22AM -0500, todd horton wrote:

>  On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 07:02:31 -0500, you wrote:

> >> Why?
> >
> >Many folks on the list have been successful with this $200 N230-based
> >frontend, so why spend $300 on the Zotac unit.  You could remove the
> >internal laptop drive and sell it, then buy an extra 1GB SODIMM.
> >
> >/Brian/
>
> Successful if your only using it as a front end right ?  If you want
> combined wouldn't you need more power etc.?

    For what?

    Commflagging? Yeah, you would probably want more CPU power for that.

    As a slave BE/FE, a Revo is more than adequate. That's exactly how I
use mine. It's hooked up to an HD-PVR and one of the secondary TVs. The
recording process doesn't require much horsepower.

    mysql would be another consideration for a combined system.