[mythtv-users] Can Myth 'tune' these 'free' converter boxes?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Dec 3 03:17:44 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Neil Salstrom <salstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
>> FWIW I don't think Comcast has any plans to encrypt broadcast
>> channels.  They may be legally prevented from doing so.  Having a
>> tuner that can only tune ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/PBS is certainly less useful
>> than what we want, but isn't "useless".
>>
> Weren't they trying to get a waiver to allow them to encrypt
> *everything* by offering free converter boxes?

No, I don't think so.  Here's the article that was posted a while back:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2009860393_brier14.html

They're talking about encrypting "expanded basic" to prevent people
from getting the cheapest available package and then watching these
channels which they haven't paid for.

If cable card wasn't such a major snafu, it would be quite a
reasonable position to take.

Eric