[mythtv-users] Can Myth 'tune' these 'free' converter boxes?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Dec 3 03:17:44 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Neil Salstrom <salstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
>> FWIW I don't think Comcast has any plans to encrypt broadcast
>> channels.  They may be legally prevented from doing so.  Having a
>> tuner that can only tune ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX/PBS is certainly less useful
>> than what we want, but isn't "useless".
> Weren't they trying to get a waiver to allow them to encrypt
> *everything* by offering free converter boxes?

No, I don't think so.  Here's the article that was posted a while back:

They're talking about encrypting "expanded basic" to prevent people
from getting the cheapest available package and then watching these
channels which they haven't paid for.

If cable card wasn't such a major snafu, it would be quite a
reasonable position to take.