[mythtv-users] Single WD GP disk fast enough for live 720p?

Jon Whitear jon at whitear.org
Wed Dec 2 22:41:25 UTC 2009

----- "John Drescher" <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> But shouldn't errors like this be very rare? I mean when I look at
> SMART on my 5+ year old drives (I have lots of these at work) most of
> these have reported 0 sectors remapped. Okay a few do have a number
> other than 0 (usually less then 10).

You'd think so, but it seems it causes drives to drop out of a RAID every couple of days for a lot of people. You'd also think that a drive NOT in a RAID would make your machine unusable if it was taking >30s to correct an error and locking everything up in the meantime. I guess it must just be a combination of factors that makes this such a problem  with RAID.