[mythtv-users] ION boards, 230 vs 330, fans?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Dec 1 23:31:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 10:35:44PM +0000, Greg Cope wrote:
> On 30 Nov 2009, at 14:50, JEDIDIAH <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> >   Whether or not the fan in the Revo or other 330 based systems is
> >an issue is a matter of personal preference and how you deploy the
> >unit.
>
> Worth mentioning that in my experience the revo 330 fan is no louder
> that a reasonable laptop.  Not silent, but virtually silent from a
> few metres away.
>
> I struggle to hear mine when at the other end of the room and this
> in in a quite location.
>
> If you want silent go for something fanless.  If you are willing to
> accept laptop levels of noise then I doubt you will be disapointed.

    The two type of IONs I have are louder than my Macs are.

    Unfortunately they can't handle what comes out of the HD-PVR.

    One ION is in a play area. Another is in a cabinet and the 3rd is
turned off when it's not being used. Otherwise, the fan annoys the wife.
However, the fan isn't loud enough to be a problem when the unit is in
operation.

    Not a bad tradeoff. You can buy/build quieter machines if you're really
motivated. You will spend more time or money though.